Several months ago, the camera app on my Moto G5 Plus phone began to intermittently malfunction when I opened it. Instead of letting me take a picture, I’d get an error message of “Camera Error: Please Restart Camera.” I would close and restart the app four or five times before finally being able to take a picture– by which time I’d have missed the opportunity to capture the picture I’d wanted.
Incredibly frustrating! I tried the suggestions on the support website, but none of them helped and the problem persisted.
Here’s how I finally chose to deal with the problematic Moto Camera app:
- Installed Mark Harman’s Open Camera App.
- Tested the Open Camera app to make sure it worked properly on my phone (i.e. it takes pictures, uploads them to Google Photos, etc.)
- Remove Moto Camera from the Home Screen’s Dock.
- Add Open Camera to the Home Screen Dock.
- Open the App Drawer, then press & hold on the Moto Camera app until the “App Info” menu item appears.
- Click on “App Info” and then click on the “Disable” button.
- Confirm you want to disable and uninstall the Moto Camera app.
Your mileage may vary, of course, but my phone camera opens reliably now.